Find out all the things to do in Colorado in August with kids before they head back to school!
The month of August is bittersweet for most parents. Summer comes to an end and the kids head back to school. Luckily, there is a lot going on in Colorado this month.
August Farmer’s Markets
August is one of the best months at the farmer’s market. The fruit and veggies are bountiful! There are many locations that offer farmer’s markets around the state, many staggering the days and times throughout the week. You can find a complete listing of Colorado Farmer’s Markets here.
You may want to bring a wagon when you go to the farmer’s market in August. The zucchinis alone will weight a few pounds. You can also expect to find ripe melons and cantaloupe. August is also when you will be able to buy peaches and apples by the case from the Western Slope. Fresh peaches are one of my favorite summer traditions- don’t miss out on them! If you are searching for farm-fresh veggies, expect to find corn, squash, zucchini, onions, eggplant, cauliflower, and carrots.
Front Range Things To Do In August With Kids
The Front Range has many activities that kids will enjoy in the summer. Before the kids head back to school, don’t forget to take them to the Denver Zoo, Denver Aquarium, Water World, Six Flags, and a Rockies Game; you will find festivals, fairs and more to explore with your kids this month. And for reference, as a Colorado Native, I consider the “Front Range” Colorado Springs to Fort Collins (basically, one to two hours, either way, depending on traffic from Denver).
- Aug. 2-6: Larimer County Fair & Rodeo, Loveland
- Aug. 2-11: Boulder County Fair & Rodeo, Longmont
- Aug. 3: Free Day at Clyfford Still Museum, Denver
- Aug. 4: Peach & Corn Festival, Fort Collins
- Aug. 6: Free Day at Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus
- Aug. 8: Free Music Class for Kids, Denver
- Aug. 9: Free Day at Four Mile Historic Park, Denver
- Aug. 9-10: 16th Street Fair, Denver
- Aug. 10-11: Kids Music Adventure at New West Fest, Fort Collins
- Aug. 10-11: Brick Fest Live LEGO® Fan Experience, Denver
- Aug. 11: Music of the Beatles For Kids, Boulder
- Aug. 11: Preschool Paleontologist, Boulder
- Aug. 14: Create Play Date, Denver Art Museum
- Aug. 17: Peach Festival, Fort Collins
- Aug. 17: Touch-A-Truck, Erie
- Aug. 23: Loveland Old Fashioned Corn Roast Festival, Loveland
- Aug. 26: Free Day at Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Things To Do In The Mountains In August With Kids
August is a great month to explore the Rocky Mountains. You can easily make a day trip into the mountains or stay overnight. There are many events happening in the Mountains in August.
- Aug. 3-4: Beaver Creek Art Festival, Avon
- Aug. 9-19: Breckenridge International Festival of Arts (BIFA)
- Aug. 17: Family Fun Fair, Frisco
- Aug. 25: National Park Free Day
- Aug. 31: Great Rubber Duck Race, Breckenridge
Western Slope Things To Do In August With Kids
August is one of the best months to visit the Western Slope of Colorado. The apples, peaches, and corn are ready to be picked. In my unofficial opinion, the Western Slope is basically everything west of Edwards, including Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction and Gunnison.